Friday, September 19, 2008

Busy Busy!

I have recently noticed how many people respond the exact same way to the question: How have you been? The response: "Busy." Are we all overcommitted? It sure feels like that sometimes. I do notice that I seem to get a ton done on days when each hour is reserved for something specific. The days I simply stay home and do normal household chores? I can barely finish them sometimes. Hmm. What is going on there? I used to really only feel the crunch right before Christmas. Shopping, plans, parties, meals, baking, etc. But now it seems like there is more to do all the time. I find myself thinking, "As soon as this event is finished, I can relax." Well, there always seems to be another event at the end of the tunnel! Don't get me wrong, I love events! Parties, plays, showers, trips, sleepovers-- my kind of fun! I am just more aware these days that my calendar is full. This fall, we have made a real effort to be at home more as a family. This has meant saying no to some things, but I think it is a good plan. Not only does it save money on gas, but my children are growing up before my eyes, and I don't want to miss it! Okay, back to the subject of busyness. The story of Mary and Martha has come to mind a lot lately. Martha was wonderfully hospitable, but it was Mary who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to Him. I pray that I will not let preparations and plans get in the way of my time spent with God. I pray that God will give me the strength to complete my tasks; but I also pray that God will draw me close to Him when I am consumed with too much busyness.
Here is a recipe perfect for a busy day when company is coming!

Barbecue Chicken
(This recipe is only a guide. I don't use a recipe anymore, and only guessed at these amounts. I would adjust amounts and seasonings depending on amount and type of chicken pieces, and on how spicy you want it to taste.)

Chicken pieces, thawed, rinsed, and drained, put in a 9x13 baking dish

Sauce:
1/4 c. oil or melted butter
1 1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. vinegar or lemon juice
2 T. worcestershire sauce
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. prepared mustard
1/4 c. brown sugar

Mix ingredients for sauce in a glass bowl. Microwave until hot. Pour over chicken pieces. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve with rice and green beans. I usually make sweet tea to drink and bake a chocolate chess pie for dessert.

1 comment:

Mar said...

Hi Laurie,

First of all - thanks for the directional tip today. I just might need to study up on the navigation system manual. Ya think?

I will have to make that barbecued chicken recipe. Makes my mouth water and brings back wonderful memories, too.

You know the term "busy work" that teachers or managers use to keep those under them doing something all the time? It's hard to identify with such a term when you are a mother and homemaker, isn't it? There is always something to do. I find that scheduling and routine are my friends. When I ignore them, I am at a loss and fail in efficiency. And then things get piled up. And then the requests come in from others to do something. It is so hard to say "no." It is a constant struggle for me. Then I stroll over to my neighbor's house where ORDER rules and feel inspired. Uphill journey. All the time.

I shall think about my "busyness" tomorrow and pray that God will help us both to put first things first.

Love you. Looking forward to Tuesday.

M